This is the Morning Win, by Andy Nesbitt.
We had a lot of fun NFL things happen yesterday – the Cowboys overcame a tough call to beat the Patriots in a wild overtime thriller, Patrick Mahomes threw the worst INT of his career before settling in and crushing Washington, and the Jaguars won their first game in like 900 years.
But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, topped what Aaron Rodgers did late in the fourth quarter of the Packers’ win over the Bears in Chicago.
Well, what he did was part of it but it’s actually what he said – rather, screamed – that was the best moment of Sundays’ Week 6 NFL action.
In case you missed it, Rodgers ran in for a 6-yard TD late in the fourth quarter that gave Green Bay a 24-14 lead. As he started to celebrate the big TD he decided to yell the ruthless truth at Bears fans as mics caught him screaming “I STILL OWN YOU” at them. Some reports had him dropping in a F-bomb in there, which made it an even more savage move by the future Hall of Famer.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Rodgers had this to say about that moment after the game, via The Athletic:.
“Sometimes you black out on the field in a good way. I looked up in the stands and in the front row, all I saw was a woman giving me the double bird. I’m not sure what exactly came out of my mouth next.”.
Professional athletes have to hear fans yelling a lot of things at them during games but in that moment in Chicago on Sunday it was Rodgers doing the yelling and the fans doing the sitting there and taking it because there was nothing they could do about it.
(T was beautiful.
And it was absolutely true.
Rodgers is now 22-5 against the Bears in his career and his 55 TD passes against them are the most he has against any franchise.
While Rodgers has been a legend in Green Bay for so many years, the Bears have been going through a steady stream of mediocre (at best) QBs for so many years while being dominated by the Packers star.
Chicago fans have to be hopeful that Rodgers will move on from the Packers after this season and stop being someone they have to face twice a year, because that has proven to be a bad time for the Bears.
Rodgers, meanwhile, continues to have this carefree attitude about him that probably made Packers fans nervous all last offseason but is now one of the more entertaining things of this NFL season.
Oh, and Green Bay is 5-1 and once again one of the elite teams in the NFL.
And they also still own the Bears.
Quick hits: Candace Parker’s awesome moment after winning WNBA title… Joc Pederson’s NSFW celebration… Lane Kiffin’s perfect tweet… And more.
– Candace Parker led the Chicago Sky to their first WNBA title on Sunday and then had an emotional moment with her daughter after the final whistle that had all the feels.
– Joc Pederson hit another big home run for the Braves in their Game 2 win last night and mics caught his NSFW reaction after hitting a BOMB off Max Scherzer.
– Lane Kiffin had a perfect tweet after a Tennessee fan threw a golf ball at him at the end of Saturday night’s Ole Miss-Tennessee game.
– Tua Tagovailoa threw one of the worst INTs you’ll ever see in Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars and NFL fans crushed him for it.
– Braves third base coach, Ron Washington, made some GUTSY decisions last night that paid off in a big way for Atlanta.